Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Muskoka Mad Tom IPA Review


I finally had the chance to visit The Beer Boutique this weekend and I was a bit underwhelmed by what I found there. The local Beer Store on Brock has a better selection, but at least in the boutique you can browse the stock and read labels, which was one of the original goals of the store and seemed to work for me to some degree. The opening of the boutique also almost coincided with the near-by LCBO expansion, which in the process lost some of its craft beer space but gained a lot more cooler and macrobrew space. It may sound like I am complaining, but when you think about it, there are beer/liquor 3 sources within walking distance of me and all together they offer quite a nice variety.

Well, my visit to The Beer Boutique resulted in me picking up the only beer I have not yet tried - Muskoka's Mad Tom IPA wrapped in Muskoka's new skin.

The beer has a deep golden color and pours with a creamy, two finger thick head which left some lacing behind as it receded. As expected, the aroma is very IPA-like - floral with a ton of hops, citrus and some sweet dried fruits. The taste is fantastic with a lot of hops and grapefruit flavours and a tiny bit of sweetness. The finish is bittersweet and heavy on the grapefruit/hops combo with a touch of pine. Overall, excellent IPA which beat my expectations and may become a staple for me.

Scores:
Cost - $12.95
Taste - 8.5/10
ABV - 6.4%

Overall - 8.6/10...feel like Muskoka deserves another 0.1 for their new package/image

No comments:

Post a Comment